There is no better holiday or weekend away than camping in the wild. One of the most, if not the most, important pieces of kit you will need is your tent. A tent is more than just somewhere to sleep. It is your base from which you can explore and get lost in a new adventure. The best 4 person tent offers a great please to relax and recharge. They are stylish and comfortable. Furthermore, they are built to withstand whatever the weather throws at it.
There is a perfect tent out there for everyone and all occasions. At Cool Wilderness, we have put together a list of our all-time favourites. Choosing the best 4 person tent for you can be the difference between having a life-affirming adventure or a weekend where you can’t wait to get back to the grind of daily life.
But don’t worry. We have you covered. Below are our reviews and recommendations of the best 4 person tents on the market today
Our Best 4 Person Tent at a Glance
- Free-standing two-pole design with 7000 series aluminium poles
- Easy assembly with pole clips that quickly snap over the tent poles
- Polyester fly with 1500mm coating resists UV damage and stays taut
- Factory-sealed fly and floor seams provide best weather protection
- Polyester taffeta floor with 2000mm coating
- Extra large #8 zippers
- Two doors and two vestibules
Mesh storage pockets, gear loft included.
- Weatherproof fly buckles on for maximum adjustability and protection
- Vestibules for gear storage and extra weather protection
- Half mesh walls increase ventilation
- Base size: 7’6 x 8’6
- Center height: 52″
- Vestibule depth: 35″
- Tent area: 64 ft²
- Vestibule area: 25 ft²
- Minimum weight: 7 lbs. 15 oz.
- Total weight: 8 lbs. 10 oz.
- Packed size: 6″ x 23″
- Pole diameter: 11 mm
- Fly Fabric: Polyester, 1500mm
- Floor Material: Polyester taffeta floor, 2000 mm
- Body Material: Not listed
- Super easy to set up.
- built-in storage pockets on the sides and roof of the tent.
- Vestibule for extra storage.
- The design of the fly offers great protection but can lead to poor ventilation.
The design of this tent is ingenious and the materials used are of the highest quality. It is easy to set up and beginners will have no problem with this tent. It has has excellent ventilation and is built for three seasons. There is plenty of interior room which offers plenty of storage room. Furthermore, this tent will offer protection from wind, rain and sun.
- Zone Pre-Bend Construction Creates Vertical Walls, More Roomy Sleeping Area and Greater Head Room
- One Super-Sized Double Door and Rear D Shaped Door with Two Vestibules
- Lamp Shade Pocket Securely Holds Your Headlamp to Provide Ambient Light
- Footprint Included
- Strategic Clip Placement Provides Larger Interior Volume
- Seam Taped Full Coverage Fly with Vents
- Seam Taped Catenary Cut Floor
- Color Coded “Easy Pitch” Clips and Poles
- Interior Pockets for Small Gear Organization
- Jingle-Free Nylon Zipper Pulls
- DAC Press-Fit Poles Main Poles/Velocity Aluminum 7000 Ridge Pole
- Max weight: 8lbs 8oz
- Min weight: 7lbs 15oz
- Canopy fabric: Polyester
- Dimensions: 54 x 81 x 92in | 137 x 206 x 234cm
- Floor area 51.8 sq ft, 4.8 sq m
- Floor fabric: Polyester – 2000mm
- Fly fabric: Polyester Taffeta 1500mm
- Packed size: 27.5 x 9.5in | 68.6 x 22.9cm
- Amazing design adds interior room.
- Beginner friendly.
- Comes with a footprint.
- The quality of the materials makes this tent bulkier when in the tent bag which may be unsuitable for carrying or biking with.
This tent is manufactured by Coleman’s. It is one of their most waterproof models and has been built to withstand high winds. An added extra is that this tent has an E-port which can be hooked up if the campsite has an outdoor electricity port. Furthermore, it is easy to set up, lightweight and great value. This tent is ideal for those who are camping on a budget and who want the freedom to move from place to place.
- Exclusive WeatherTec™ System
- Ground vent
- Interior gear pockets
- Electrical access port
- Designed for easy setup
- Continuous pole sleeves
- Exclusive pin-and-ring design and Insta-Clip™ Attachments
- Structure: Dome
- Footprint: 9 ft. x 7 ft.
- Center Height: 4 ft. 11 in.
- Doors: 1 door
- Flysheet: Polyester taffeta
- Inner Tent: Polyester taffeta, polyester mesh
- Floor: Polyethylene 1000D
- Poles: 8.5-mm fiberglass
- Carry bags: Polyester
- Windows offer extra ventilation.
- Cord access which allows you to run wires into the tent.
- Welded corners and inverted seems offer extra protection from the rain.
- The fabric is thin which helps with the overall weight but means this tent is not great in freezing or extremely cold temperatures.
This tent has an awning-style vestibule which provides an extended living space, which is great for both drizzle and sun protection. The pole design creates steeper walls which offers even more living space. The four way high volume hub offers strength, stability and greater protection from the rain. This is a versatile tent which is built for three-season use.
- Four-way high volume hub design resulting in steeper walls without adding weight
- Two doors and two vestibules with storm flaps
- Large dual zipper door with discrete seams allows for easy entry and smooth closure while creating a clean, modern design
- Quick Stash on tent body door makes stowing unzipped door quick and easy
- Proprietary random rip-stop pattern nylon
- Two-tone mesh provides privacy while allowing for star gazing transparency
- Massive ceiling pocket provides great storage space
- Media pockets located above sleeping area
- Velcro tabs connect fly to pole structure
- Ready to pitch; with pre-cut guy lines and tensioners attached to fly
- Reflective guylines and webbing on tent corners
- Easy grip zipper pulls
- Packed Weight: 3 lb 1 oz
- Packed Size: 4 x 19.5 in
- Floor Area: 29 sq ft
- Head Height: 40 in
- Vestibule area: 9 sq ft (x2)
- Number of Doors: 2
- Canopy Fabric: Patterned double ripstop nylon/polyester mesh
- Floor Fabric: Silicone-treated patterned double ripstop nylon with waterproof polyurethane coating
- Rainfly Fabric: Silicone-treated patterned double ripstop nylon with waterproof polyurethane coating
- Lightweight and excellent for backpackers.
- Clever design adds extra living space.
- Great performance in wet and windy conditions.
- It does not come with a footprint which is strongly recommended.
This tent is one of our favourites and appears on lots of our reviews. It is the perfect choice if you value comfort over all things. Whilst the price may be prohibitive to some, if you are after the ultimate camping experience then look no further. The 100% cotton material gives great insulation and will offer great protection from the weather all year round. It also features a stove jack opening so you can use a portable wood burning stove inside the tent. Another cool feature is the zip-away floor that transforms your tent into a canopy for outdoor events.
- Added space for user comfort.
- Space to put a jack stove in the tent.
- All seems are double stitched.
- 4 top vents for extra ventilation.
- Integrated, heavy-duty zipped groundsheet.
- Can roll the sides of the walls up on a hot summer’s day and to let the wind pass underneath.
- Both door and windows are equipped with the screen meshes to keep bugs out.
Heavy duty PVC ground sheet.
- Diameter 13.1ft (4m)
- Bell tent: door height 59in
- Top height 98.4in,
- Side wall height 23.6in.
- Diameter 16.4ft (5m)
- Bell tent: door height 63in
- Top height: 118in
- Side wall height 31.5in
- Cover material: Breathable 100% Cotton Canvas
- Ground sheet material: 1.2 lbs/10ft2 (540g/sqm) PVC; the tent is waterproof on its own.
- Package Content: Diameter 13.1ft (4m)
- Bell tent comes with 12 ropes and 24 pegs,
- Diameter 16.4ft (5m) bell tent comes with 14 ropes and 28 pegs.
- Zip away floor is an amazing feature which can be used at festivals, weddings and outdoor events.
- The design, sturdiness and materials make this the ultimate ‘glamping’ tent.
- Tent materials are heavy so this would not be ideal if you are moving from one place to another.
- The price is high for those looking to camp on the budget
- Durable, steel and fiber-glass frame features pole sleeves corner hubs, and quick clips for simple 1 person set up.
- Large mesh windows with waterproof curtains offer scenic views and plenty of ventilation.
- Extended fly coverage over the door provides extra weather protection and dry entryway.
- The zippered E-port lets you easily run an extension cord inside.
- There are plenty of stash pockets and a gear loft to help keep things organized.
- Floor Size: 8ft x 8ft
- Interior Height: 7ft
- Minimum Weight: 17lbs 3oz
- Pack Size: 9in x 27in
- Floor Area: 64ft x 2
- Doors: 1
- Storage Pockets: 2
- Gear Hammock: 2
- Poles: Continuous Pole Sleeves, Clips, Hubs, Rings and Pin
- Secondary Pole: Fiberglass
- Inner Fabric: Polyester Taffeta
- Near vertical walls makes this a large 4 person tent.
- Lightweight and sturdy.
- Three season tent.
- Windows are toggle and looped rather than zipped which can lead them to flap in the wind.
- The instruction manual is not very helpful.
What makes a Great 4 Person Tent?
The best 4 person tent is more than just poles and a ground sheet. A great tent should be a place to relax on an evening and offer a comfortable nights sleep. You need to keep a few things in mind when considering what is the best 4 person tent for you.
Is it the right size?
Remember a tent in not just a place to sleep on an evening. It will also be a place for you to store all of your gear. A 4 person tent is big enough for 4 people to sleep on their back. It may not be big enough for everyone’s shoes, clothes and bags. If you are going away for a long period of time, or taking lots of equipment with you it may be worth looking at our best 6 Person Tent guide. These will offer the extra space you need.
What will the weather be like?
Not all tents are made equal. Some are good for summer camping. Others are more suited for winter camping. A tent which looks great, may not be practical if it rains for 2 days straight. Tent manufacturers use the Hydrostatic Head (HH) test to decide how waterproof a tent is. Most tents fall between 800 to 10,000 millimetres (mm). The best 4 person tents will all be closer to the 10,000mm level. If you are expecting rain, this should be crucial to deciding which is the best tent for you.
Will you be moving around a lot?
Tents are made of different materials. Some are 100% cotton, whilst others are Polyester. Whilst cotton is great for insulation it is heavy and it can be bulky. This is not ideal for carrying in a backpack. On the other hand, Polyester is light and can be easily compacted into a small bag. However, Polyester is a bad insulator meaning that it can be cold on an evening and hot on a morning in the tent. If you are going to be moving around and walking from one campsite to the next, I would certainly recommend Polyester. If you are making camp in one place for a good length of time – it may be worth looking at a tent made of cotton fabric.
Another thing to consider is what material the poles are made of. Most tents are Carbon-glass but some have steel poles. The former is light-weight and great for carrying. The latter offers more stability and strength in strong winds – but – these are heavier. Again, you need to understand what type of trip you are going on and what you expect the weather to be like.
Is there a Porch?
The porch is an underrated and often forgotten feature of a tent. Not only does it provide you with extra room and storage it space – it is a wonderful place to sit on an evening. This is extremely important if you are camping as a family or with friends. Porches offer great versatility and, from experience, are worth their weight in gold if the weather is not playing ball with your camping trip.
Is it easy to put up?
Most tent manufacturers claim that it will only take a matter of minutes, or in some cases seconds, to pitch a tent. Whilst this may be true, for the majority of us who are not professional tent pitchers the reality is often different.
There are tents which are designed to be ‘quick-pitch’ tents. These are called pop-up tents, easy-erect pole tents and inflatable tents. These are usually great for those wanting to avoid arguments about how to pitch a tent. However, and this is personal preference, I prefer a tent which is more stable and secure. There are thousands of great carbon-glass or steal pole tents which are easy to pitch. The key tip I can offer is a simple one. Read the instruction and practice pitching your tent before you arrive at your destination. Practice really does make perfect and within a few trial runs you will be erecting your tent in no time.
Where do you get the specifications from?
We take our specifications directly from the manufacturer. This allows us to ensure that the information is correct and coming from source. We do edit this information to remove any ‘marketing’ jargon so that you are only getting the objective statistics which can be used to compare different items. Each manufacturer provides different specification information so that is why there is some discrepancy between what information is provided.
All of the 4 person tents we have reviewed have excellent features and we are sure that you will find something that will suit your needs and allow you to start you own adventure. However the Best 4 Person Tent, in our opinion, is the ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 4-Person Tent. It is Incredibly easy to setup and break down, strong, durable, and lightweight – everything you want in a tent. This product also offers incredible value for money.
Whatever product you chose, we are sure you will be delighted by the results.