Are you looking for the best hiking boots for flat feet? If so, we have you covered. There are plenty of options when selecting the best hiking boots for flat feet; you can get comfort, value and style without spending a fortune. At Cool Wilderness, we aim to take away the barriers so that everyone can explore and enjoy the wild.
With that in mind, we have put together our ultimate list of hiking boots which suit people with flat feet. These boots should offer the support, width and a low heel to give comfort and reassurance to those with flat feet. Hiking boots are also required to be tough, durable and ready for action. Therefore, all of our recommendations are top of the range and should be long-lasting.
Finally, we have had input from medical experts when putting together this list. We know that a flat feet condition is not a one type fits all issue. As a result, our list caters for as many people as possible. If you have stiff and rigid flat feet you should look for a hiking boot which is soft and cushioned. This will absorb the impact when you press down with your foot. If you have flexible flat feet you should look for a shoe with arch support. This will counter any natural movements and provide great stability for your foot.
Table of Contents
Men's Best Hiking Boots for Flat Feet
- Memory foam full length cushioned insole offers great support and comfort for those with flat feet.
- Shock absorbent midsole will offer added protection when walking on rough or rocky terrain.
- Waterproof, durable, and smooth leather/synthetic in a lace-up ankle height comfort with stitching and overlay accents
- The relaxed fit design makes this boot have an extra-large fit which is great when looking for a boot for flat feet.
- Built to be durable so with care and attention these boots will last you season after season.
- Experience out-of-the-box comfort with durable leathers, a supportive footbed, and great traction,
- Targeted heel cushioning improves overall comfort by reducing stress on your foot with each step. This is a must-have for people looking for the best hiking boots for flat feet.
- This leather and mesh uppers provide breathability and durability on the trail. This will reduce the chance of blisters occurring and keep your feet cool for the duration.
- MOAB stands for Mother Of All Boats.
- Features lightweight, durable midsole for long-lasting comfort when walking on rough and rocky terrain.
- superior cushioning, and high energy return as well as an advanced traction rubber sole for slip-free movement will offer you support and comfort all day long.
- This boot offers unbelievable versatility with its multi-terrain traction system. This helps your treads respond to the specific environment on which you are walking. A dual-zone winter tread pattern ensures solid footing on surfaces such as ice and snow.
- These are built to last with solid construction on major pressure points such as reinforced toe and heel barriers.
- The boot comes waterproof with PU coating and seam-sealed construction.
- Seam-sealed waterproof construction makes these ideal for rugged terrain.
- Fiberglass stability in the midsole supports the arch and helps create a smoother gait. This will support those hiking with flat feet but offering increased support and stability to the mid-region of your foot.
- For comfort, these boots have a removable molded memory foam footbed.
- Rubber outsole with multi-directional grip design maximizes surface contact and provides durable traction.
- These are the ideal boot for rough terrains.
- Water-resistant leather and mesh upper.
- Dual-density compression-molded midsole which offers support and comfort when you land with your foot.
- Footbeds are infused with probiotic technology that naturally breaks down odor in sweat without heavy metals or hazardous chemicals.
- Environmentally sourced materials.
Women's Best Hiking Boot For Flat Feet
- Molded nylon arch shank for support and stability underfoot.
- Merrell air cushion in the heel for increased shock absorption. This is ideal for flat feet as it will offer comfort and relief all day long.
- Breathable nubuck and mesh upper which keeps your foot comfortable, supported, and stable on rough terrain.
- Lightweight yet long-lasting hiking boot.
- Bellow’s tongue keeps debris out.
- Designed with stability technology, gore-tex, and a mega-grip outsole for confidence no matter the terrain.
- Features gore-tex waterproof membrane, exceptional breathability, and waterproof performance mesh.
- Bellows tongue keeps debris.
- Hyperlocked heel counter offers a secure fit which offers great support for those with flat feet.
Things to consider when choosing 'your' best hiking boots for flat feet
Even mild pain is disruptive to a great hike. If you do experience pain from the condition of flat feet you need to be selecting a shoe which mitigates against the cause of pain whilst giving you a comfortable fit. If you have stiff and rigid flat feet you should look for a hiking boot which is soft and cushioned. This will absorb the impact when you press down with your foot. If you have flexible flat feet you should look for a shoe with arch support. This will counter any natural movements and provide great stability for your foot. Remember though, a shoe can only work when it is paired with the perfect socks. Put together, your pick as the best hiking boots for flat feet will get exploring the outdoors in no time at all.
Even the best hiking boots for flat feet won’t help you if they are not suited to the place you are walking. Most of this common sense, but you wouldn’t walk across a rocky terrain in open sandals and similarly there is little point in wearing heavy duty fabric hiking boots if you are trekking through rivers and marshes. If you know where you are likely to be walking that is great. If you don’t that is fine too. Make sure you pick up a versatile pair of hiking boots for flat feet. That way you can be prepared for any terrain.
Weight is an important feature of any walking boot. For those with flat feet it is even more important. This is because there is a correlation between weight and comfort. If you are an all-day hiker, then light shoes are certainly the best choice. For rough or rocky terrain, you want something a bit heavier and more durable. This is not just for comfort. A heavier hiking boot will take more wear and tear so will last longer in these terrains.
Hiking Boot Material
The upper, midsole, and outsole are the constituent parts that make up your hiking boot. When looking for the best hiking boots for flat feet you need to have an:
- An upper sole which is breathable to reduce sweat and rubbing.
- A midsole which is soft and cushioned for bounce and support.
- An outsole which has lots of tread and grip to prevent your foot sliding in your boot and creating friction which can cause blisters.
How to look after 'your' best hiking boots for flat feet
Hiking boots are built to survive tough terrain. Despite this many people come to use their boots to find them worn out. We have some simple and easy tips to help keep your boots in great shape season after season. Follow these tips and you will keep the best hiking boots for flat feet you have ever owned in great shape.
This is not the most glamorous task, but it really is a do today and be thankful tomorrow sort of job. Simply rinse with warm water and use a semi-stiff brush to remove stubborn mud and grit.
Top tip: Avoid using detergents as these can damage technical fabrics.
Treat with a proofer
A proofer can add to the sturdiness and capabilities of one’s hiking boots. To maintain your hiking boots for flat feet, use a proofer that’s suitable for use on footwear with waterproof breathable lining and waterproof leathers to maintain your boots’ performance as you clock up the miles.
Avoid shape loss
This is especially important for maintaining your hiking boots for flat feet. Given the nature of having flat feet you need to ensure your boots stay in shape. This will help you get stability and comfort from your boots. Try not to soften your leather uppers too much while washing to avoid this part of your hiking boot losing their shape. A top tip is to pay careful attention to the area you are washing. If it is the bottom of the shoe, then you should be fine to be as thorough as you like. With the soft leather areas less is more in this case.
Allow boots to dry in a well-ventilated area. Avoid using radiators or putting them next to open fires. This will damage and fray the fabric.
Absorb all moisture
Make sure you dry your boots properly before storing them away for their next outing. Newspaper is an old mothers’ trick for absorbing moisture from wet walking boots, just replace it every couple of hours until the paper is dry.
Check for wear
Keep an eye out for wear and tear, especially on the soles of your boots, as this may help you avoid replacing your boots before its necessary. If you follow these steps it will be years before your searching for your next pair of best hiking boots for flat feet.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are hiking boots good for flat feet?
When it comes to looking for the best hiking boots for flat feet the key thing to remember is that not all hiking boots are made equal. Some hiking boots are ideal for people with flat feet whilst others will not give you a good user experience.
The key is to know what you are looking for. Remember, the best hiking boots for flat feet should offer comfort and support to prevent even mild discomfort.
If you are unsure what to look for check out our ‘things to consider when choosing your best-hiking boots for flat feet’ section. This has all the information you need.
Are Merrel shoes good for flat feet?
Yes, Merrell is a top hiking boot brand for those who have flat feet.
If you are a man, I would recommend the Merrell Moab Vent Hiking Shoe. These will offer great ventilation and are designed to provide added comfort.
If you are looking for a women’s hiking boot I would recommend the Merrell Accentor Hiking Boot. This has air cushions in the heel for added comfort and to protect your feet from the added pressures placed on them during long walks.
What should I wear if I don't have hiking boots?
You could wear trainers providing they have a good treat, have ankle support, and have a cushioned heel.
Even then, you should only use them for light walking on easy hiking routes.
I must stress that if you are going mountain hiking or on long walks (where there is rough and/or rocky terrain) then you should invest in a good pair of hiking boots. This is super important if you have flat feet.
Hiking boots will offer foot and ankle support when walking on rough terrain whilst the outsoles offer great traction if it is slippy or wet.
Do I need ankle support for hiking?
Most research shows that the best way to prevent ankle injuries is to focus on strengthening and stretching your ankles.
If you are a seasoned walker with no prior history of ankle injuries then you probably don’t need added ankle support.
Remember, a good pair of hiking boots will already offer ankle support which should be more than adequate for most people.
We firmly believe that nothing should be a barrier to a great hike. Despite this, many people struggle to start due to chronic pain or discomfort as a result of flat feet. Therefore, our list of the best hiking boots for flat feet is the ultimate guide for those looking for a comfortable, durable and supportive hiking boot which will allow them to ‘belong to the wild’.
Our favourite men’s boot is the Sketcher. This is because the memory foam full length cushion is like walking on a cloud, whilst the shock absorbent midsole offers the sturdiness and grit needed for long hikes.
Our favourite women’s boot is the Merrell Accenture. The moulded arch shank offers support and stability whilst the air cushion in the heel of the boot offers long lasting shock absorbent support.
Whichever boot you chose, there is no barrier too tall or wide for you to get over before beginning on your hiking adventure. So grab yourself a pair of the best hiking boots for flat feet and get out on the trail.