Looking for the best tent with AC port? Well, look no further.
On those hot summer days having a tent with AC port could be a real lifesaver. The cool air emitting from the tent AC unit will allow you to camp in comfort. Your pick for the best tent with AC port will offer amazing functionality and will be like a home away from home. At Cool Wilderness we have researched and tested our favourites so that you can make your pick in the knowledge that you are fully armed with the functions and specifications of each tent.
There are two different types of tent which provide access to a portable air conditioner unit.
Tent with e-port access – these are ideal for people who want to be able to run wires into a tent from an electric hook-up. These e-ports can be used to charge a portable air conditioning unit and provide a power source for phones and laptops.
Tent with AC port access – these tents have a dedicated ‘space’ in the fabric which you can place a portable AC unit.
In this article we have researched both and provided a review of our favourites. If you are uncertain of which one is right for you – jump down to our FAQ section.
Table of Contents
Best Tent With E-Port Access
This tent is an ideal buy for those looking for a versatile tent which can be used all year round. The extended porch is a great addition which offers extra space (up to 4 camping chairs) whist the steel poles means this tent is super strong. Coleman is a world-class tent manufacturer and they are built to last. If looked after, this tent could last years or even decades.
- Screen room with full floor for bug-free lounging and added sleeping space on warm, dry nights.
- Up to 50% faster setup than a comparable standard tent with conventional setup.
- Tub floor with patented corner welds and protected seams help keep water out.
- Strong frame is tested to withstand 35+ MPH winds.
- Window awnings let you keep the windows open, even in the rain.
- Reflective guy lines are illuminate for greater visibility at night.
- E-Port makes it easy to bring electrical power inside your tent.
- Storage pockets to keep your gear organized.
- Included rainfly for extra weather protection.
- Expandable carry bag.
- Easy setup in about 7 minutes.
- Spacious interior.
- 1-year limited warranty.
- Fabric: Polyguard
- Dimensions: 10 x 9 ft. with 10 x 5 ft. screen room
- Height: 5 ft. 8 in.
- Weight: 8.62kg
With a clever design this tent will offer you plenty of room to stand and move. It will feel more like a house than a tent. Perhaps the most impressive feature is the Variflo adjustable ventilation for customized cooling comfort in all conditions. Coleman’s WeatherTec system is designed to keep you dry with welded corners and inverted seam. Coleman’s is an established world leader in tent manufacturing and we are sure you’ll love this choice.
- 2 Rooms, 2 Doors, 6 Windows offering excellent ventilation.
- Variflo adjustable ventilation offers customized comfort.
- Durable steel loops offer added stability and are built to be long lasted.
- Tunnel-cabin hybrid design.
- WeatherTec system keeps the weather where it belongs — outside the tent —at all times.
- Floor is durable plastic which is long lasting and is designed to keep standing water from entering the tent.
- Electrical access port.
- Seasons: 2
- Sleeping Capacity: up to 10 persons
- Number of Doors: 2 doors
- Inner Fabric: polyester
- Floor Material: polyethylene
- Outer Material: Polyester Teffeta
- Frame: Fibre-glass poles
- Dimensions: 17 x 9 ft (518 x 274 cm)
- Area: 140 ft² (13 m²)
- Weight: 31 lb I 14.1 kg
- Packed Size: 30.3 x 10.2 x 10.2 in (77 x 26 x 26 cm)
- Loops: Durable Steel.
This tent is manufactured by Coleman’s. It is one of their most waterproof models and has been built to withstand high winds. An added extra is that this tent has an E-port which can be hooked up to an AC unit if the campsite has an outdoor electricity port. Furthermore, it is easy to set up, lightweight and great value. This tent is ideal for those who are camping on a budget and who want the freedom to move from place to place.
- Exclusive WeatherTec™ System
- Ground vent
- Interior gear pockets
- Electrical access port
- Designed for easy setup
- Continuous pole sleeves
- Exclusive pin-and-ring design and Insta-Clip™ Attachments
- Structure: Dome
- Footprint: 9 ft. x 7 ft.
- Center Height: 4 ft. 11 in.
- Doors: 1 door
- Flysheet: Polyester taffeta
- Inner Tent: Polyester taffeta, polyester mesh
- Floor: Polyethylene 1000D
- Poles: 8.5-mm fiberglass
- Carry bags: Polyester
This is a fantastic pick for the best tent with AC portt. It is extremely spacious and easy to erect making it a great choice for beginners. The straight walls allow you to stand up and the 2 doors are great for ventilation. When putting down the tent you will have no problems fitting everything in the neat expandable carry bag. The tent comes with an electrical wire vent which allows you to hook up your devices. Overall, a great purchase.
- 86 inch center height gives you enough room to walk around and move comfortably in the cabin.
- Secure electrical port provides a water resistant way to insert electrical cords from outside the tent into the interior
- equipped with water resistant PU coated fabric and taped seams to help keep moisture out.
- Strategically placed gear pockets are placed throughout the tent to keep your belongings handy and organized.
- Removable room divider included to create a 2-room tent, allowing you to create your ideal space
- Seasons: 3
- Sleeping Capacity: up to 10 persons
- Height: 86″
- Inner Fabric: polyester
- Floor Material: polyethylene
- Outer Material: Polyester
- Frame: fiberglass
- Floor Dimensions: 14ft x 10ft
- Pack Size: 29.4 in x 12.6 in x 12.6 in
- Weight: 31.61 lbs I 43.3kg
- Tent Stakes: Steel 7in Stakes
- Durable, steel and fiber-glass frame features pole sleeves corner hubs, and quick clips for simple 1 person set up.
- Near-vertical walls create lots of standing room and are ideal when camping with air mattress and cots.
- Large mesh windows with waterproof curtains offer scenic views and plenty of ventilation.
- Extended fly coverage over the door provides extra weather protection and dry entryway.
- The zippered E-port lets you easily run an extension cord inside.
- There are plenty of stash pockets and a gear loft to help keep things organized.
- Floor Size: 8ft x 8ft
- Interior Height: 7ft
- Minimum Weight: 17lbs 3oz
- Pack Size: 9in x 27in
- Floor Area: 64ft x 2
- Doors: 1
- Storage Pockets: 2
- Gear Hammock: 2
- Poles: Continuous Pole Sleeves, Clips, Hubs, Rings and Pin
- Secondary Pole: Fiberglass
- Inner Fabric: Polyester Taffeta
The clever design of the Naturehike Cloud-Up makes it a great versatile 3-season tent. This flexibility makes it an ideal pick for hot weather camping. The inner tent is comfortable and breathable whilst the outer layer is built to withstand that surprise summer shower. Our top tip with this tent is to only use the inner layer when using it as a hot weather tent only. This will provide added ventilation whilst maintaining your privacy. This tent is one of the lightest we have ever reviewed and would be great for hiking or backpacking.
- 4000mm water-resistant.
- UV 50+ sun protection guarantee.
- Lightweight Aluminium poles
- Incredibly light so is perfect for backpackers.
- Beginner friendly set up.
- Clever design of the layers gives great versitility and can be used across 3 seasons.
- Comes with accessories: carry bag, tent stakes, foot print and wind ropes
- Can be bought as a 1, 2 or 3 person tent.
- Mesh canopy with additional window offer maximum ventilation & prevent condensation
- Weight: 3.75lb
- Outer layer size: 24″ vestibule.
- Outer Fabric: 210T Polyester or 20D Silicone Nylon
- Floor Fabric: 150D Anti Tear Oxford cloth
- Inner Fabric: Breathable Flyscreen mesh
- Pole: 7001 Aluminium Alloy
- Zips: Duraflex zips and clips
- Pegs: Aluminium
Packed: 450mm x 120mm x 120mm
Assembled: 2300mm (L) x 1200mm (W) x 1000mm (H).
This tent comes with 3 large rooms and is well built for your camping needs. There are other great features for you to get excited about as well. Such as an electronic port, a mud mat, and a shoe pocket. This 10 person tent has great ventilation which will help you stay cool and comfortable on your trip.
Overall this is a great pick for families looking for added privacy, space and comfort.
- 3 doors, 3 rooms and six windows offer great ventilation and added privacy.
- Taped fly seams prevent leakage.
- Electronic port access into tent.
- Two removable room dividers allow you to choose whether you want one big room or three separate rooms.
- An attached mud mat helps to keep the inside of your tent clean and dry.
- Four guy ropes provide wind stability.
- Contains hanging organizers and pockets for convenient storage.
- A mesh roof provides excellent star-gazing opportunities and extra ventilation
- Seasons: 3
- Sleeping Capacity: up to 10 persons
- Number of Doors: 3 doors
- Outer Fabric: Poly Taffeta 600mm
- Inner Fabric: Poly Taffeta
- Floor Material: Polyethylene
- Frame: Fiberglass and Steel Poles
- Dimensions: 20 ft. x 10 ft.
- Height: 78 in.
- Total Area: 177.5 sq. ft.
- Packed Size: 27.5 in. x 11 in. x 11 in
- Weight: 27.1 lbs, 12.3kg.
- Average Set-Up Time for 2 People: 18 Minutes
Best Tent With AC Port
This well designed tent is ideal for those who want to have a dedicated AC port. The tent has great ventilation to help assist with air flow to keep you cool in the summer. Furthermore, this is a huge tent which will comfortably fit 8 people (or 4/5 people with baggage).
- Made from polyester fabric, and treated with water resistant coating.
- Double-stitched seams provide a shingle effect against water.
- Zippers and webbing have also been treated with water-repellent.
- Full mesh roof and two mesh windows keeps bugs and insects out in summer.
- Fiberglass roof frame with steel upright supports.
- Comes with accessory pockets for extra storage.
- Hi-Low ventilation at the back of the tent provides great air circulation. This is where the AC port is located.
- Screen room gives added privacy.
- Fabric: Polyester.
- Dimensions: 16 x 11.
- Floor Area: 98 sq. feet.
- Height: 6 ft. 6 in.
- Weight: 11.96kg
This Instant Cabin Tent features the latest in tent technology. It can be set up in 60 seconds so you can spend more time out on the trail or with the family. The tent is designed to be withstand heavy winds and the fabric is water-resistant. This is a great summer tent and with added ventilation it will keep you cool during those hot days and nights. This tent comes in a number of shapes and sizes so you can pick on for your needs.
- Instant Setup Technology – Set up this tent in just 60 seconds.
- Fabric offers a special reflective coating to keep the tent darker and cooler.
- There are clever storage holders including a very helpful flashlight holder.
- Utility Port allows for connection to outside electrical access to power any device
- Water-repellent fabric
- Large mesh windows for increased ventilation
- Fabric: Polyguard
- Dimensions: 11ft x 9ft
- Height: 72in
- Weight: 12.42kg
Other Items Which You May Need With Your Tent
Best Tent Air Conditioner
A tent air conditioner is a vital accompaniment to your tent. We would recommend looking at the portable choices. These will have a 6-8 hour battery life and can be charged quickly. These options have improved dramatically over the last couple of years and are now often better than the traditional models.
Camping AC Stand
A camping stand is a sensible buy to accompany your tent and AC unit. You can protect the tent fabric whilst raising the AC unit off the floor allowing it to distribute air easily and more efficiently.
|Product||Features||Brand||Check Price on Amazon|
|Durable Construction: Strong and sturdy aluminum construction with non slip rubber feet||Camco Adjustable Height Aluminum Platform||Click Here|
|Lightweight corrosion-resistant aluminum construction||Quick Products QP-FASAL Adjustable Aluminum Platform||Click Here|
|Lightweight and can supports up to 1000lbs, with double-locking legs can be folded easily.||Homeon Wheels Safety RV Steps Adjustable Height Folding Platform||Click Here|
Frequently Asked Questions about Tent With AC Port
The honest answer is that it is up to personal preference. The benefits of a e-port tent is that you can connect other electrical devices to the campsite hook up. Furthermore, the quality of portable air conditioners have dramatically improved so the benefits of having a dedicated AC port are no longer as vital. That being said, if you are after a tent with AC port and nothing else then a dedicated design is definitely worth looking at; especially if you already own a top-end AC unit.
The benefit is that in those summer months you can use an air conditioning unit to keep you cool. It is worth noting that there are other important things a tent needs to make the AC unit efficient. This includes good ventilation and UV protective coating in the fabric.
Most tents are made from Polyester or Nylon. These are great options as they are lightweight and are often cheaper than cotton/poly-cotton alternatives. Just make sure that the polyester/nylon has been treated with water-resistant chemicals because they are not naturally waterproof. A tent made from polyester also needs to be designed to be well-ventilated as the fabric is not a natural insulator. Please don’t think that polyester is not a great choice – it is – almost all manufacturers ensure that the fabric is well ventilated and waterproof.
- Waterproof rating. This is called the hydrostatic head measurement. It is measured in millimetres and the higher the level the more waterproof the tent. Officially, a tent has to have a measurement of 1,500mm to be waterproof however this is unlikely to keep you dry in heavy rain.
- Weight. If you are hiking or backpacking then you need to pick a lightweight tent which is easy to carry. If you are car camping then you could consider a larger and heavier tent which offers increased stability.
- Size. A three person tent will sleep three people on their back. It will not be big enough for three people and all of their gear. If you are taking a lot of gear a good rule to follow is to pick a tent which is twice the size as the number of people using it.
There are a couple of easy things you can do to preserve your tent.
- Make sure you use a tent footprint. This will protect the bottom of your tent from rocks and rough surfaces.
- Clean off any dirt and debris after use. This will keep the fabric strong and prevent the waterproof coating from wearing off.
- Pitch you tent on smooth, flat ground. This will prevent any abrasions from causing rips and tears in the fabric.
- Make sure you erect the tent as per the manufactures instructions. Regardless of what you read on the internet or hear from other campers, the instruction guide is, and will always be, best practise.
- Equally important as putting up the tent correctly, is taking it down and packing it away in the right way. When you do this try and ensure that the tent fabric is dry and clean – this will prevent mold from growing.
- Do not put pressure or strain on the fabric. This will avoid it from tearing.
- Make sure the tent poles have no sharp edges. If they do, cover them with tape. This will prevent any rips from occurring.
Yes you can, but (and it is a huge but) you must take care when you do it. If you get this wrong you will ruin the fabric and the tent will no longer be functional. A rip in the fabric in the wrong place will affect the integrity of the tent. Instead of ‘ruining’ your current tent my honest advice would be to keep the old one as a spare and buy a new tent with AC port.
It depends on the specifications of the tent. A quick way to check is to see how many seasons the tent has been designed for. This will either be one, two, three or four. If it is a one/two season tent then I would only advise using it in summer.
If you don’t know how many seasons the tent has been designed for check the waterproof rating. If it is under 1,500mm then it is a summer only tent. If it is 1,500-3,000 it is a 3-season tent (although be careful as it will not be fully waterproof in heavy rain). If it is over 3,000mm then you should be ok for all but the worst weather.
Even the best tent with AC port will not, on its own, keep your tent cool. It will certainly help but to maximise its effect there are a number of really easy steps you can follow.
- Make sure your tent is well ventilated. This means ensuring that a breeze can run in, and out of the tent. This can be done by opening doors or windows.
- Pitch your tent in the shade. This will prevent the interior of the tent from heating up as a result of the rays which emit from the sun.
- Make sure your tent is big enough for all of the people staying in it and their gear. A well packed tent will take up a greater amount of room which can prevent good ventilation. Remember, a three person tent will not be big enough for 3 people and all their gear. A good rule is to double the number of people to get what size tent you need.
There are two types of AC unit. The first is the traditional model which required electric hook-up and an air flow filtration system. This takes longer to set up and requires extra maintenance. The benefit of this unit is that they tend to be more durable and have a longer battery life.
The second is the portable AC unit. The recent advancements in battery technology make these a really useful and practical option. You will get long lasting battery life which produces little noise – perfect for the campsite. Furthermore, many of the best tent air conditioners will also have added functionality making them good all-round products.
If your campsite has an electric hook-up, almost any air conditioner will do – as long as it has enough power to do this job effectively. For 200 feet if tent you will need a unit rated around 5000BTU. This will keep you cool.
For a portable AC unit all you need to do is place the unit on table and switch it on. For the best results, make sure the AC unit is elevated and not directly placed on the ground fabric.
For a hook-up AC unit, you will need to use a power source. Give that these units are powerful pieces of kit you will definitely need to elevate it off the floor. Make sure you use a camping AC stand. Then you need to place it in the dedicated slot in the tent and switch on.
For more information there is a great video which you can watch here.
A ground vent is designed to provide ventilation for the tent. This is a constant flow of air which keeps your tent cool and damp free. A ground vent on a tent can be used as the air conditioner port. A ground vent also gives you electric port access to the inside of the tent without unzipping the door and/or windows.
Conclusion: Tent With AC Port
Our favourite tent with AC port is the Coleman Steel Creek. We are high on this option because it is a versatile tent which can be used all year round. Furthermore it comes with a porch area which offers great storage room and even more ventilation. The porch area could also be used as a place to eat and sit on an evening making it a lovely little home away from home. And, if that isn’t enough, it is extremely easy to set up – about 7 minutes according to the manufacturer.
If you are after something slightly bigger the Coleman WeatherMaster is a fantastic option when choosing your best tent with AC port. This 10 person tent is made of excellent fabric and Coleman’s is know for designing their tents with cutting edge technology so this purchase could be one which lasts for years or even decades.
Remember though, you will need to purchase the right AC unit to accompany your tent and the metal stand for it to be placed. You should avoid placing you portable AC unit on the floor of the tent in case there it causes any damage to the fabric.